Saturday 7 January 2023

#Dungeon23: Week 0 + 1

Encounter Table for Level 1 (Week 0)

Rooms (Week 1):

Sun 1st: Otis' Boat Service

Ferries you across and back for a cut of your haul when you return.
Old, sly and oddly spry. 

Mon 2nd: Entrance 1: Sunken Steps

Submerged staircase surfaces out of water and leads to a Mossy Archway (North): Leads into overgrown hallway beyond.

1d4 giant frogs sunbathe here during the day. 

(Magic Relic (Fire Blast) hidden underneath submerged stairs)

Tue 3rd: T-junction: Ceiling cracked, Rampant plantgrowth 

South: Mossy Archway to Entrance 1
West: Darker, less overgrown hallway
North: Hallway, dim light through cracked ceiling, dense vegetation, 3 stones dangling from rope (triggered trap)

Wed 4th: T-junction: Obscene grafity on south wall (head explodes of figure with grotesque tits and penis; 'Fuck "Adventurers"' is written underneath)

West: Smell of stagnant water
North: Daylight, smell of birdshit, loud bird cries
East: Lots of vegetation, some sunlight

Thu 5th: T-junction: Puddle of water (shallow)

North: Dead-end (secret door)
West: Daylight, smell of birdshit, loud bird cries
South: Dim light, 3 stones dangling from rope (triggered trap), dense vegetation

Fri 6th: SE Stands: Nesting Ground

Giant chick (parasitic bird) dwarfs a nest. It is bigger than the 1d3 giant predator birds that currently feed it. Surrounded by cracked eggs. (Nest is made in part of adventurers' gear as well as twigs, roll loot. 1 magic relic (Gust of Wind) is hidden in the nest material)

Sat 7th: SW Stands: Napping Tree

Tree dominates stands

1d4 giant predator birds sleep here during the day. Rodents speared on the branches. 

Stuff I learned until now:

  • Working in pen help me to not over edit. I still catch myself editing stuff slightly, but I want to try to keep it to a minimum, otherwise I know I'll definitely not make it till the end of the year.  
  • Having limitations helps me stay on point. I'm very happy I chose to do this analog as that prevents me from overwriting.
  • The week 0 encounter table really helps me envision not only what lives on a level, but also how they interact with each other. Whenever I can manage, I'll try to make similar ones for the following months/levels
  • Writing up those encounters for the encounter table also gave me fun ideas for stuff that might be going in in the dungeon. For example: Those diseased frogs were mostly a thing because I wanted something that would attack the party on sight. When I made the bird entree the same because I was out of ideas, that gave me the idea that maybe this disease is spreading and needs to be taken care of before it becomes a real problem. 
  • I started outside of the dungeon because I found it rather daunting to dive in. As the month started on a sunday I have 6 more spaces for entrees of a similar kind that I might fill up as I fancy. 
  • My first floor has very few rooms. However, I've seen halway crossings be keyed as well, so that is what I chose to do for now. The next level should have way more propper rooms.
  • I like having a bigger picture to work with. This is what I liked about the encounter table, but also knowing if I can fit 30 rooms on what I had in mind as a first floor was something I wanted to make sure of. I made a little sketch to plan out the dungeon level. Nothing I am wed to, but it took very little effort and it put my mind at ease, so I'll probably do it again for the coming months, unless I don't feel like it. 
  • This is easier than I dreaded it would be. Not that I think the hardest moment has come, but I wasn't sure I'd manage to do the first week. We'll see how things go when my winter break is over and if I can manage to keep it up alongside work. 

Pics or it didn't happen:

Encounter table in the monthplanner for the corresponding level

Schematic overview of Level 1

First week of the planner.
A schematic drawing of the crater
Also, yes I did first do the second of januari on the 26th of december...
Armin is already added. I imagine him like the vendor from the Disk World novels, but instead of questionable food he sells questionable gear. 

First 6 rooms + schematic drawing of section of level. 
Don't take it too literally,

2 comments: